Sunday, November 28, 2010

Taiwanese Salted Crispy Chicken 鹽酥雞


My dear friends came over for dinner last week and I made this popular Taiwanese dish from one the cookbooks they brought back for me from Taiwan. This is an extremely easy dish to prepare but you do have to have some coarse sweet potato flour (地瓜粉)* on hand. You may serve this as part of a Chinese meal or as a snack to go with drinks. I especially love the fried Thai basil and the salt and pepper that accompanied these crunchy morsels. There are more delicious dishes from those cookbooks that I plan to cook in the near future so stay tuned.
* Sweet potato flour is available from good Asian grocers.



recipe adapted from 正宗126道台灣小吃 (126 Authentic Taiwanese Snacks)
serves 4 as part of a Chinese meal or as a snack with drinks
you'll need;
500 g of chicken thighs, cut into 2 ~ 3 cm pieces
1tbs Chinese cooking wine
3 tbs of soy
2 tsp of castor sugar
1 tsp of five spice powder
1 spring onion (white part only), minced
2 pieces of ginger, minced
1 tsp of sesame oil
a bunch of Thai basil, picked
coarse sweet potato flour for coating
peanut oil for frying

for the salt and pepper dip;
1 tbs of salt
1 tbs of white pepper
mix salt and pepper well and set aside



Marinate chicken pieces for at least half an hour with Chinese cooking wine, soy, sugar, five spice powder, ginger, spring onion and sesame oil.



Coat marinated chicken with sweet potato flour.



















Picked Thai basil leaves.



Fry chicken in hot oil in batches til light golden (50 ~ 70% cooked) and drain well.



Fry chicken a second time til golden and crispy. Drain well.



Fry Thai basil leaves 10 ~ 15 seconds and drain well on absorbent paper.



Scatter fried basil around the chicken pieces and serve immediately with the salt and pepper dip.

18 comments:

  1. Seakan akan pop chicken kat kfc ni..anak anak pasti suka:)macamana diet hari ini?dah kurangkan berat badan?good luck:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 我剛從台灣回來, 看了你的鹽酥雞我又想家了!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow looking yummy...

    http://cookingbachelors.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great as a beer snack indeed and I am looking forward to more delicious treats from your new cookbooks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Acabo de llegar a tu blog y me ha encantado tu receta,me quedo entre tus seguidores y tus recetas y si lo deseas quedás invitada a pasar por mi blog,
    feliz Domingo y un gran beso.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks fantastic.
    I'd imagine normal flour would work just as well.
    Can't wait to see the other 125 Taiwanese snacks .... Hint hint ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Mzungu

    plain flour would NOT work - as sweet potato flour would give it a crispy/chewy kind of texture.

    thanks for posting this up - my mum bought a huge serving for me last night but am craving again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This chicken dish looks fabulous! Love the fried basil too, thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The chicken looks very crispy, I love deep fried food...:D!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love 鹽酥雞 and thanks for sharing the recipe.
    Oh I just cooked your 3 cups chicken two days ago and it was delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Blimey - that looks delicious. I am a huge fan of deep frying chicken thighs, especially twice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks lovely!! I can start eating now... ehhe

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my...this temptation that is difficult to resist!
    Surely makin this :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This chicken dish sure looks delicious especially with the basil leaves.... simply awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. U always tempt with yummy chicken dishes ya! This is going into my list too ;) Arrrghhh, can't wait till I do my own, can I have a bite here? Taking some for my kids too..takkan mak nak makan sorang2 je kan! hehehe ^____^

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hmm..mm... this sounds delicious! Love the crispy crust. Thanks for sharing.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sweet potato flour is the secret ingredient!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin